Montag, 17. Mai 2010

Price to pay

To start off the new week with inspiration and many questions to ask, i want to discuss the notion of "friendship". What makes a friendship a good one? And when is it time to simply walk away?

Friendships are supposed to offer you comfort and warmth. They are the outlet for fear, frustration, love, laughter and happiness. Having friends around you ensure you have a safetynet when you run danger of falling. This concept, however, expects that your friends will actually be there to catch you.

In highschool, you tend to choose your friends because they belong in the same category as yourself: emo, Goth, punk, popular, cheerleader, football jocks etc etc. Yet, once you grow up and leave high school behind (some people never do, mind you!) you start picking friends who mirror who you've become or who you want to be. Friendships are incredibly important to a healthy life- nonetheless there is a point where friendships become distructive.I believe that friends are supposed to pull you through the tough times and laugh with you about anything. However, friendships, like any relationship, can end. What are reasons for ending a friendship? When is it time to just "let it die"?

I had a close friend some time ago with whom i shared everything. I knew her inside out, stood by her when her mother became very sick and held her hand when her studies were running danger of being over. Then she met her current boyfriend. Suddenly, it was my duty to badger her into hanging out, to have dinner together etc. I had to forcer her into spending time with me rather than i-chat with her lover. There is a saying "Bros before hoes" and i fully support it (transported to the female perspective of course :) ) You should NEVER abandon your friends for lovers. ever. Its just bad manners. Simple as that. When you're the one being abandoned, for whatever reason, you should stay and fight-not forever though. Its perfectly normal at the beginning of a relationship to be wanting to spend as much time with your parter as possible and friends need to accept that. Howvere, There comes a point where you have to let it go because a real friend-someone who cherishes you-will not let you go. Its that simple. I let my friend go, in the hope that maybe one day we could pick up where we'd left off. I ran into her on the street a couple of days ago- she bumped me out of the way with her bag. So much for that.

I love my friends. They make me strong, they make me happy and they give me a reason to keep going. When you have amazing friends you have to remember to always let them know how amazing they are to you. Friends are what make you rich. They are the family you can choose.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen